How Does the SharePoint JSON Document Work?
SharePoint provides a document library out of the box, which includes the Video and Rich Media feature for managing rich media assets such as images, audio, and video. This feature is available with on-premises SharePoint Servers, such as SharePoint 2013 and 2016. However, with SharePoint Online and SharePoint 2019, the document library can be used to create new folders, documents, or a link to files that are outside the document library. Here is how the video and rich media feature can be enabled, provided users have the permissions to change Site Collection features.
- Navigate to the Site Settings page from Site Collection Administration, and then click on Site collection features.
- Click on Activate under Video and Rich Media.
- Create an Asset Library for storing images, audio, and video files using the Add an app option.
- Videos can be added by selecting the option to upload, link, or embed them by clicking New Item on a library page, or the New Document button on the ribbon.
How to Use JSON Formatted Video Portal in SharePoint?
When videos are uploaded, and metadata for the information of the videos are added, there are limited options for customizing the default view or even a new view with additional columns. However, the views can be customized using JSON for non-standard formats, such as video title, description timestamp, and other details in a card view in a gallery-style layout. Follow the steps below to customize the gallery view with JSON.
- Select the “Gallery with likes card” option to change the view.
- Select the Format current view at the bottom of the dropdown.
- On the Format View page, choose the Gallery option, and add the JSON code to change the formatting.
- To embed the view in the SharePoint site page, use the Document Library web part, and edit it to set the correct view.
- A support list can be added to filter videos by topics or categories, for a better user experience.
Apps4Rent Can Help with SharePoint Licensing and Hosting
While SharePoint Online is available with Office 365/ Microsoft 365 plans at no additional costs, the on-premises SharePoint versions, such as SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2016, and SharePoint 2019 offer more customization options. As a Tier 1 CSP, and a Microsoft Gold Partner for several competencies, Apps4Rent offers SharePoint hosting services at competitive pricing from our top tier SSAE 16 datacenters and Azure. We can also help businesses with Office 365/ Microsoft 365 licenses for SharePoint Online. Reach out to our SharePoint admins available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for assistance.