Instructions to generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) using IIS in Windows
Before you purchase an SSL Certificate, you need to generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for the server or Hyper-V virtual dedicated server where the certificate will be installed.
1. Open IIS after logging into the server.
2. Expand the left hand side by click on (+) sign.
3. Click on (+) option to expand the Websites section
4. Right click on the Website for which you want to the generate the CSR.
5. Select Properties.
6. Click on the Security Tab and click on Certficate button.
7. Click Next.
8. Click on the New Certificate option and click next. Enter the relevant information and click on Next.
9. Finally, it will generate the CSR in the txt format.