Azure Synapse Analytics (formerly Azure SQL Data Warehouse) is an enterprise solution designed for processing massive quantities of relational and non-relational data. It can be scaled, paused, and restored in seconds depending on the requirements. Azure Synapse Analytics leverages the Microsoft massive parallel processing (MPP) architecture and combines the capabilities with Azure Storage. As with most other Azure services, Azure Synapse Analytics also reduces IT overheads by automating operational tasks such as software patching, maintenance, and backups. In this article, we will explain how to migrate on-premises data into Azure Synapse Analytics.
What Are the Advantages of Migrating On-Premises Data to Azure Synapse Analytics?
There are several benefits of migrating data from the existing on-premises data warehouse to Azure Synapse Analytics. Here are some of them.
- It is possible to query both relational and non-relational data using SQL language.
- It is the only analytics system that can run TPC-H queries at a petabyte-scale.
- It combines the advantages of Big Data analytics with enterprise data warehousing.
- It includes some of the most advanced security features, such as dynamic data masking.
- It is significantly faster and more affordable than similar cloud solutions.
What Is the Process Involved in The Migration of On-Premises Data to Azure Synapse Analytics?
Migrating an on-premises data warehouse to the cloud can be a challenging process for most businesses. Researching the challenge, risk mitigation, and thorough planning followed by flawless execution is necessary to avoid budget overruns and other undesirable outcomes. Consequently, the migration of on-premises data into Azure Synapse Analytics is broken down into three phases- preparation, migration, and post-migration.
How to Prepare for On-Premises Data Warehouse to Azure Synapse Analytics Migration?
The preparation phase involves performing activities to address issues before initiating the data migration to Azure Synapse Analytics. These are the tasks that have to be performed in the pre-migration phase.
- Defining the scope of on-premises data migration to Azure.
- Confirming that Azure Synapse Analytics is the right Azure service to migrate the on-premises data.
- Inventory the data and processes that have to be migrated to Azure.
- Understand the differences between the current on-premises data warehouse Database Management System (DBMS) and Azure Synapse.
- Allocate budget, resources, and roles for the migration, and impart necessary skills and training for succeeding.
- Decide on the migration strategy, identify bottlenecks, checkpoints, and contingency plans.
- Set up the on-premises system and Azure for the migration.
What Are the Steps Involved in Migrating On-Premises Data to Azure Synapse Analytics?
Once you have completed the planning phase, it is time to implement the strategy you have decided to migrate your on-premises data to Azure Synapse Analytics. At a high level, here are the tasks involved in the data warehouse migration process to Azure Synapse Analytics.
- Prepare the metadata to be migrated to Azure Synapse Analytics by resolving compatibility issues.
- Export the metadata (schema) for tables and views by scripting or automating the process.
- Migrate any historical data that might be of use in Azure Synapse Analytics.
- When you are ready to migrate the data, ensure that it is converted to the right format, compress it if needed, use AzCopy to transfer the data to Azure, and import it into Azure Synapse Analytics.
- Migrate or refactor existing Extract, Load, Transform (ELT)/ Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) procedures, and business processes.
What to Do After Migrating On-Premises Data to Azure Synapse Analytics?
Once you have migrated all the data and processes from the existing data warehouse to Azure Synapse Analytics, you will have to undertake performance tuning activities as a part of post-migration.
- Create statistics with the newly imported data.
- Perform tests on aspects such as schemas, user access, data quality, reporting, and ETL processing, and compare them with your existing system.
- Test tools and applications and benchmark their performance.
- Re-engineer the data model on Azure Synapse Analytics based on your learning.
- Document the process of migrating on-premises data to Azure Synapse Analytics and use it as a template for future migrations.
Apps4Rent Can Help You Migrate On-Premises Data to Azure Synapse Analytics
Migrating on-premises data to Azure Synapse Analytics can be complex and challenging. However, automating tasks and orchestrating the process by leveraging the capabilities in Azure can simplify the process. As a Tier 1 Microsoft CSP, Apps4Rent offers consulting services for Azure migration. Contact our Azure migration experts, available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for Azure plans and migration assistance.