How to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Update Errors?
QuickBooks makes accounting simpler for you so that you can focus on other crucial areas of your business. The Desktop edition of QuickBooks packs robust tools to simplify reporting and support more complex accounting. While QuickBooks Desktop is easy to use and manage, keeping it up to date can help you enhance its performance and utilize its full functionality. However, there can be situations where the update installation throws up an error. This article will help you fix such QuickBooks Desktop update errors.
What Should You Do When Your Attempt to Update the Software Fails?
If your attempt to update QuickBooks Desktop fails, one of the following solutions will help you troubleshoot the installation and fix update errors.
Check the System Date and Time
The update process may hit a snag if the system date or time on your computer is incorrect and interferes with the update process.
Try adjusting the time on your computer and updating QuickBooks again. The steps are as follows:
- Locate the system clock on your computer, right-click on the clock icon.
- Select Adjust Date/Time.
- Click on Change date and time. Specify the current date and time.
- Select OK twice.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Rerun the update.
Ensure That Your System Has Internet Access
Unstable or no internet access could be the reason behind the update error. Check if you have a strong and secure internet connection. Contact your Internet Service Provider if you can’t access the Internet.
If you can browse the Internet but unable to update QuickBooks, perform the following steps.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click on the Help menu and select Internet Connection Setup.
- Click on Use my computer’s Internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the Internet.
- Click on the Next button.
- Click on Advanced Connection Settings.
- Select Restore Advanced Settings.
- Select OK.
- Select Done.
- Update QuickBooks Desktop.
Check Internet Security and Firewall Settings
The QuickBooks Desktop update error can sometimes occur when a firewall blocks access to the Internet. Internet access is needed for downloading specific QuickBooks programs and files. Ensure the internet security and firewall settings are up-to-date and support QuickBooks Desktop. You can work with your firewall and antivirus software provider or contact an IT specialist to ensure the firewall doesn’t block internet access for QuickBooks Desktop.
Update Manually if Your Computer Has Multiple Instances of QuickBooks Desktop
If you have installed more than one instance of QuickBooks Desktop of the same version year on the same computer, a QuickBooks Desktop update error can occur. For example, a computer system running QuickBooks Premier 2018 and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 18.0 both may throw an error while updating QuickBooks. In such situations, you can install manual updates. The process is as given below.
- Download the latest updates for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Close any open files and applications.
- Click on the Windows Start menu.
- Search for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Right-click the QuickBooks application tab and select Run as Administrator.
- On the No Company Open screen, click on Help and select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click on Options. Select Mark All and Save.
- Click on Update Now and select Reset Update.
- Select Get Updates.
- When all updates are downloaded, close QuickBooks Desktop and relaunch it. When prompted to install updates, click Yes.
- Restart your computer once done.
Get Rid of QuickBooks Desktop Update Errors Once and for All
There can be several reasons for your application to refuse updates. The complexities can further extend when you want to use multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop with the same version year on the same machine. Hosting QuickBooks on a cloud desktop eliminates this problem and allows you to use it on all devices like a smartphone, tablet, and computer. Apps4Rent is an Authorized QuickBooks Solution Provider. We help you set up your QuickBooks Desktop application in the cloud and troubleshoot all errors that may arise. Apps4Rent provides 24/7 support via phone, chat, email. Contact us today.