MariaDB is a widely used open-source database platform popular among businesses of all sizes. MariaDB provides a wide range of storage options, delivers good caching and indexing performance, and offers reliable open-source support with several cutting-edge features and extensions. The ColumnStore storage engine can easily handle analytical workloads.
Several businesses using MariaDB on-premises are switching to cloud solutions for better scalability, performance, and security, among other reasons. In this article, we will focus on the process involved in migrating MariaDB databases to Azure.
What Are the Advantages of Migrating MariaDB to Azure?
Migrating MariaDB to Azure allows businesses to use the open-source database platform without worrying about managing the environment. Here are some of the advantages of migrating MariaDB databases to Azure.
- Improved availability allows applications to access the data at anytime from anywhere with greater reliability.
- Streamlines processes by eliminating unnecessary procedures, improving efficiency.
- Enables organizations to respond to changing business requirements.
- Allows systems to scale seamlessly as the business grows.
- Minimizes performance issues without compromising security with better monitoring capabilities.
What Is the Process Involved in Migrating MariaDB Database to Azure?
Migrating MariaDB to Azure is similar to MySQL Azure migration. Tools and utilities such as MySQL Workbench, mysqldump, Toad, and Navicat can be used for migrating from MariaDB to Azure Database. Follow the steps below to migrate MariaDB databases to Azure.
- Determine the version of the on-premises MariaDB database. Although it should not matter in most cases for the schema and the data dump if features are used at the application level, the applications must be compatible with the target version on Azure.
- Create a MariaDB instance on Azure from the Azure Portal. Click on Add a resource and then search for MariaDB.
- Click on Create and select the appropriate subscription, resource group, server name, and location.
- After selecting the appropriate compute and storage option, provide the admin credentials, and click on Review+create.
- Register the server hostname and navigate to Connection Security>Add Client IP.
- Provide the IP from which the database has to be restored and click on Save.
- Use the command prompt to export and restore the database and verify the restore using phpMyAdmin or a tool such as MySQL Workbench, Toad, or Navicat.
- Update the application connection strings to point to the Azure Database for MariaDB instance and test the applications.
Apps4Rent Can Help with MariaDB Azure Migration
The process involved in migrating MariaDB from on-premises infrastructure to Azure depends on the goals and requirements of the business. Azure offers a wide range of options for MariaDB workloads, including the purpose-built Azure Database for MariaDB service, which can be used with other Azure services such as Azure Virtual Network, Azure Private Link, and Azure ExpressRoute, depending on various considerations.
As a Microsoft Gold Partner for Cloud Platform and Cloud Productivity and a Tier 1 CSP (Cloud Solutions Provider), Apps4Rent provides managed Azure services to modernize and migrate on-premises workloads to the cloud. Call, chat, or email our Azure solution architects, available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for assistance.