Several solutions are available in the market for managing documents and sharing files. These solutions eliminate the need to email files and folders back and forth between team members especially when their size and complexity increase and real-time collaboration becomes necessary. Two of the most widely used solutions are Dropbox and SharePoint. While Dropbox is relatively easier to set up, SharePoint is the ideal enterprise solution with several integrations to both Microsoft and partner applications. If your organization plans to upgrade to an advanced document management system, here’s all you need to know about Dropbox to SharePoint migration.
How to Initiate Dropbox to SharePoint Migration?
The onboarding process from Dropbox to SharePoint involves following a task flow for moving files and documents to the new solution.
- The first step is to inform all stakeholders well ahead of time about the intention to migrate from Dropbox to SharePoint. Make sure that users do not make file changes when the migration to SharePoint is in progress.
- If there are is a large quantity of data to be migrated, plan on creating batches of data that can be moved over time.
- Prioritize files based on their business impact so that the more critical ones can be migrated with the least downtime.
- Ensure that the physical infrastructure being used for the migration has sufficient resources to download, stage, and upload content.
- If SharePoint content has to be shared with external stakeholders, it is important to plan for appropriate site collections on which external sharing is enabled.
- Ensure that versioning metadata is available after files and documents have been migrated from Dropbox to SharePoint.
- Use the Dropbox inventory report to optimize the file/folder size and numbers and estimate SharePoint the space requirements for site collections.
- Remove the Dropbox files that are not needed anymore.
- Minimize the length of nested folders such that their lengths are within SharePoint’s permissible limits.
What Methods Are Used for Dropbox to SharePoint Migration?
The choice of method to be used for migrating Dropbox contents to SharePoint depends on the number of users, the quantity of content, the time, and the budget available. While some methods are inexpensive, they are less comprehensive and perform only migrations without syncing, others are more complex and often involve the use of tools.
Here are some of the most common methods for Dropbox to SharePoint migration.
- For smaller data volumes with simple folder structures, the manual migration, and the OneDrive sync app should be able to handle the migration. This involves importing data to a physical device whose drives can be mapped with SharePoint for importing content.
- If you can import Dropbox contents into a centralized network server/ drive use the Microsoft Migration Manager to import files into SharePoint.
- Use the Dropbox Business Admin console for exporting contents and then import using Mover/ third-party tools.
Apps4Rent Can Help with Dropbox to SharePoint Migration
None of the methods stated above is the single best solution for Dropbox to SharePoint migration or applicable in all scenarios. While using third-party tools for the migration is arguably the best solution, it has to be combined with the expertise of experienced professions for troubleshooting issues that are all too common with such migrations. As a trusted Microsoft Solutions Provider with over 15 years of SharePoint migration and hosting experience, Apps4Rent will identify and implement the right solution to migrate your content from Dropbox to SharePoint at the best price in the shortest time. Our SharePoint experts are available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for support. Contact us today to know more about our SharePoint migration services.