Security has been the major focus of the latest Microsoft products. This philosophy has been extended to the Windows Server 2019. The most notable feature in Windows Server 2019 is the Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) support. ATP technology protects user devices from a range of threats. It includes capabilities like post-breach detection, automated investigation and response apart from preventive protection.
While these capabilities were initially limited to specific Windows 10 installations, they have been extended to the Windows Server 2019 platform as well along with the other latest server versions.
Let us look closer into the capabilities of Windows Defender in Windows Server 2019.
Capabilities of Windows Defender on Windows Server 2019
Microsoft has provided some very advanced capabilities particularly in terms of security as a part of Windows Defender in Windows Server 2019. Here are some of the most interesting characteristics of the platform.
Comprehensive Cloud Management Solutions
Windows Defender can be deployed through cloud control with no additional infrastructure used on-premises. There is virtually no latency and the system is always updated. This minimizes the complications that might be caused by incompatibility issues.
There are other smart protection and response measures as well which play a crucial role in protecting against cyber threats, data breaches, and enhancing security measures from a holistic viewpoint.
Here are some of the capabilities of Windows Server ATP cloud management for enhancing security.
- Minimizes the probability and severity of attacks by actively detecting loopholes and backdoor entries to systems so that hackers do not take undue advantage of vulnerabilities.
- Intelligent Security Graph (ISG) implementation capability for understanding and neutralizing threats emanating from ransomware and other attacks with greater efficiency.
- Endpoint detection and response for monitoring and detecting abnormal activities with machine learning and security analytics to minimize threats.
- Performs automatic investigations and steps for resolution for managing threats easily.
- It provides security system performance data in real-time to allow users to assess risks faster and with greater efficiency for improving resilience.
- Uses flexible queries between endpoints to generate historical data for implementing custom detection.
Windows Defender – Security Automation
Defender on Windows Server performs several automated checks for enhancing the security of the system. These include background checks and notification delivery without involving human intervention.
Following are the capabilities of the pre-breach protection feature:
- Scans all connected devices to enforce network protection.
- Security risks such as zero-day vulnerabilities are automatically blocked.
- Dubious files and devices are prevented from accessing the network.
- Protects devices by isolating web-based threats.
- Updates malware defense strategies at regularly for protecting applications running on the system against breaches.
- Uses cloud unattended approach to defend machines against known and unknown malware threats.
- Uses behavioral monitoring and advanced runtime analysis to block malicious and suspicious activities.
Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) Capability
The EDR feature of the Windows Defender protects Windows Server 2019 with the following measures
- Implements behavioral analytics and machine learning for detecting a range of threats and security attacks like spot attacks and zero-day vulnerabilities.
- It helps assess the magnitude of security breaches across all endpoints using the security center.
- Uses historical data to detect possible exploits quickly to track and resolve errors.
- Provides the capability to customize Indicators of Compromise (IOC) to generate threat specific alerts.
Cybersecurity Threat Visualization
The Advanced Threat Protection function collates all the threat information assimilated with various methods and combines them to create an incident. This can help security analysts identify patterns and correlations emanating from different data points. These correlations can be viewed in the Incident graph which tells the exact nature of the cybersecurity attack with relevant information like the entry point, the machine that is likely to have been infected and the indicator for suspicious activity.
The most important capability of Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows Server 2019 is that it can be monitored and managed from a centralized portal without having to switch between applications. The system is synchronized across the machines and the server to provide a comprehensive security coverage that can be monitored on a unified portal in the Security Center.
How to Enable Windows Server Defender Advanced Threat Protection on Windows Server 2019?
Follow the steps below to enable Windows Server Defender Advanced Threat Protection on Windows Server 2019.
- Launch the Windows Defender Security Center.
- Select the Operating System to be used during the onboarding process in the settings menu.
- Use the default deployment method to enable machines to run the onboarding scripts locally. It must be noted that there is a limit on the number of systems on which the deployment can run.
- Click on the link on the wizard to download the package.
- Perform the detection test and complete the verification process.
You will receive a confirmation message if the process has been executed correctly after a few minutes.
Using Windows Defender ATP on Windows Server 2019
Windows Defender ATP is easy to use once it has been implemented on the Windows Server 2019. Users can now set alerts and recommendations on their dashboard once they have onboarded the Windows Server. Try setting a test alert to see if the system is working as designed.
Alters, events, and actions can be found on the machine page in the Windows Defender Security Center.
Windows Defender in Windows Server 2019 – Should You Go for It?
As a unified platform, Windows Defender ATP keeps business data and users safe from advanced forms of attacks that are hard to detect, diagnose, and neutralize with regular antivirus software. With support extended to Windows Server 2019, previous Windows versions, and client hardware, the platform can protect a wider range of devices, servers, applications and endpoints than ever before. As a certified Microsoft Gold Partner and Tier 1 CSP for Azure and Office 365, Apps4Rent brings significant expertise in implementing and optimizing Microsoft solutions for clients around the globe.
Apps4Rent’s experts provide round-the-clock assistance for technical support via phone, chat, and email. Contact our support team to know how we can assist you.
Also see: Windows Server 2019 vs 2016