Small and medium businesses have to be selective about the number and types of software that they use in their daily operations. Most businesses prefer to use software that is capable of handling several functions simultaneously. Intuit QuickBooks Desktop is accounting software that ticks all the right boxes. The software can be used to handle sales and expenses apart from other affiliated purposes. While it offers several advanced functionalities and capabilities, users run into issues when specific components malfunction.
One such issue is QuickBooks Error Code 179. This blog is to help you fix QuickBooks Error 179.
What Does QuickBooks Error 179 Mean?
QuickBooks Error 179 is thrown when users are trying to access their bank accounts through QuickBooks and are unable to access their account data. The issue is most likely to be associated with authorization issues that prevent users from downloading account data. Below are some of the most common causes of QuickBooks Error 179.
- Missing entries in lists.
- Other fatal errors in QuickBooks Desktop that initiated a chain of errors.
- The balance sheet reports are not updated in other accounts.
- Miscellaneous errors in company files such as missing transaction data.
- Deposited payments erroneously displayed in the Payments to Deposit window.
- Disparities in reports like negative values in invoices and bills.
Values in the transaction log files do not tally with the total number of transactions in QuickBooks.
Techniques to Fix QuickBooks Error 179
QuickBooks Error 179 is mostly a non-technical issue that can be resolved by making minor changes to the browser or the software. Follow the methods in the given order to resolve the issue
Method 1: Troubleshoot Browser Issue
Browser cookies are notorious for causing issues, not just with QuickBooks, but other software as well.
- Sign out of the bank’s website on all computers on the network in which QuickBooks Desktop is installed.
- Delete the browsing history and clear cache for any user account from which you might have accessed QuickBooks and the bank account.
- Login to the bank account from the browser and try to access the details from QuickBooks.
Method 2: Update Financial Institution Data
QuickBooks Desktop is unable to pull in the bank account details when there is a mismatch in the data. Ensure that the data you have entered in QuickBooks is consistent with the bank details.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop and click on the Tools option.
- Select Online Center in the menu and select the Financial Institution i.e. your bank from the list.
- Press Ctrl and F3 buttons on your keyboard simultaneously and select the Contact Info.
- Set the profile and branding information to ‘needs updating’, make the appropriate changes, and click on Update/ Send.
- Input the password if prompted.
- Select Update Now and add the information.
Login to the bank account and try accessing the data from QuickBooks. It that still doesn’t work, you might have to make changes in the Windows Registry.
Method 3: Repair Windows Registry
The Windows Registry stores the options and settings of QuickBooks Desktop. Sometimes, the error might be resolved by creating a backup and restoring the software.
- Open the Register Entry in Windows by typing Regedit in the command prompt.
- If you want to back up the entire Registry, right-click on the Computer icon and click on Export.
- This will create a backup of all software including QuickBooks software like QuickBooks Pro which has been installed on the system in the backup folder with a .reg file extension.
- Restore the .reg file from the Registry Editor.
- Relaunch QuickBooks and check if the error persists.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 179?
While the first two methods should be sufficient to resolve QuickBooks Error 179, in rare cases restoring the Windows Registry will be required to resolve the error. This step, in particular, is somewhat risky as it might hamper the functioning of other software as well and it might require QuickBooks support from a professional to resolve the error.
Apps4Rent is an Intuit authorized QuickBooks hosting provider that offers 24/7 technical support via phone, chat, and email free of cost with QuickBooks cloud hosting. We help you fix errors in all QuickBooks versions including QuickBooks Enterprise, Pro, and Premier.