File Replication Service (FRS) was a feature in Microsoft Windows Server which was used to copy and maintain files on multiple servers simultaneously and to replicate the Windows 2000 System volume (SYSVOL) on all domain controllers. This data was stored in the SYSVOL, or the system volume, of the server. FRS was discontinued by Microsoft and was replaced by the new and more effective service called Distributed File System Replication (DFSR). It is an efficient and multi-master replication service that is used by organizations to synchronize folders for servers on network connections that have a limited bandwidth. In this article, we will focus on How to Migrate from FRS to DFSR for Windows Server.
Reasons to Migrate from FRS to DFSR
- DFSR supports unstable and slow networks with asynchronous RPC.
- Staging compression is controlled on a per-file type basis.
- Supports cross-file RDC which helps to construct new files from similar files, rather than replicating the new file.
- DFSR includes command-line tools that give feature parity with the GUI management tools.
- Replication of inbound and outbound files has been significantly increased.
How to Migrate from FRS to DFSR for Windows Server?
Migration from FRS to DFSR contains 3 states. Follow the given steps to migrate from FSR to DFSR for Windows Server.
- Log into domain controller as Domain admin or Enterprise Admin.
- Launch PowerShell console.
- Type dfsrmig /setglobalstate 1 & press enter.
- Next, type dfsrmig /setglobalstate 2 & press enter.
- To complete the migration process, type dfsrmig /setglobalstate 3 & press enter.
- Type dfsrmig /getmigrationstate to get the information about the current state of the migration process.
(You can see the message: Migration has reached a consistent state on all domain controllers)
Apps4Rent Can Help with FRS to DFSR Migration
FRS to DFSR Migration requires a considerable amount of time depending on the size of the folders. During migration, an uninterrupted power supply and net connection is necessary. Power Cuts or unstable internet connection can lead to data loss.
While being a Microsoft Gold Partner, Apps4Rent also has more than 15 years of experience in various migration services. Our Microsoft-certified migration experts can design fail-proof migration plans with zero downtime or data loss. We have the requisite expertise, the right tools, and dedicated managers who will work with you to migrate your data securely. Reach out to Apps4Rent’s Microsoft certified migration experts who are available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for assistance.