Do you have members in your team who are regularly offline or who do not share the same network security clearance? Yes? Then SharePoint Workspace 2010 should be really beneficial for you. Why? Because Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010, previously known as Microsoft Office Groove, is a desktop application designed for document collaboration or synchronization in teams with members who are regularly off-line or who do not share the same network security clearance. In simple words, SharePoint Workspace 2010 is a client application that provides fast, any-time interactive access to document libraries and lists on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010. SharePoint Workspace 2010 also provides options for creating Groove peer workspaces and Shared Folder workspaces. SharePoint Workspace 2010 is more versatile than Microsoft Office Groove 2007 and can be integrated with Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 or can be run independently.
Key features of SharePoint Workspace 2010
o An option to choose the workspace types:
* SharePoint workspaces provide direct bi-directional synchronization of library and list content between a SharePoint site and a workspace on an individual client computer. Creation of a SharePoint workspace enables individual SharePoint users to check out and check in SharePoint library documents from their local computers, bring SharePoint documents and lists to their computers where they can work online or offline, and synchronize local content with a SharePoint site. When an individual client establishes a connection with a SharePoint server, synchronization occurs at regular intervals when the client is online.
* Groove workspaces provide a rich and secure peer collaboration environment that supports synchronization of content among peer client computers that host a shared workspace. Creation of a Groove workspace enables SharePoint Workspace users to quickly form teams and automatically synchronize online or offline contributions with fellow team members.
* Shared Folder workspaces support Windows folder sharing among clients. Creation of a Shared Folder workspace lets information workers share the contents of a common folder in a designated Windows Explorer directory.
o Simple setup: Windows users can easily download and run SharePoint Workspace 2010 without IT assistance.
o Offline and online synchronization: People handling particular information can easily synchronize online and offline work, through a SharePoint workspace, Groove workspace, or Shared Folder workspace. Content is synchronized dynamically among online collaboration points and updates are transmitted immediately when an offline client comes back online. When an offline client reconnects, SharePoint Workspace automatically adds offline contributions to the workspace and applies workspace updates to the previously offline client.
o Instant access to the most recent dcoument: Updates to SharePoint workspaces are distributed quickly and automatically to SharePoint Server document libraries and lists. Likewise, document and list updates are automatically synchronized (on a 15-minute schedule) from SharePoint servers to SharePoint workspaces. Updates to Groove workspaces are automatically synchronized among workspace peers.
o Bandwidth usage optimization: To minimize workload, update packets, instead of whole files or documents, are transmitted over the network.
o Integration with Windows logon: SharePoint Workspace 2010 uses Windows logon credentials to authenticate users so that a separate logon is not necessary.
o Microsoft Communicator integration and built-in workspace messaging: SharePoint Workspace 2010 supports Microsoft Communicator contact presence detection and messaging while offering workspace members a choice of messaging types.
o Familiar user interface: The user interface presents the ribbon and other technology that is familiar to Office users.
o Searchable content: Windows Desktop Search 4.0 can be used to find content in workspaces.
o Common file dialog boxes: Windows technology enables Microsoft Office 2010 users to directly open and save files in SharePoint Workspace.
o Safe Mode operation: SharePoint Workspace 2010 users who encounter problems can restart in Safe Mode, attempt to resolve the issue, and then restart as usual.
Groove Virtual Office 3.1 was the last version before Microsoft’s acquisition of Groove Networks. The following version has been released since:
* Groove 2007 (Included in Office 2007 Ultimate and Enterprise editions and also available as a separate product)
* Sharepoint Workspace 2010
Microsoft claims the name change is a natural progression since Groove is to SharePoint what Outlook is to Exchange and Access is to SQL Server. Microsoft plans to add features that make SharePoint Workspace 2010 easier to deploy and manage. The company also claims that SharePoint Workspace will make it easier to access SharePoint content (or content from any server that implements the publicly documented protocols).
Take advantage of SharePoint Workspace 2010 and other useful features of SharePoint 2013 Hosting, SharePoint 2010 hosting, SharePoint Foundation hosting or SharePoint Server 2010 – with shared or dedicated hosting by Apps4Rent. Also see feature by feature comparison of SharePoint Foundation vs Server 2010. We offer free SharePoint with our hosted exchange plans. Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 or MOSS 2007 is also available.
• Industry leading value based pricing.
• Serving over 10,000 business in 50+ countries.
• One-stop shop for the full range of hosted Microsoft software.
• 24/7 support via chat, email and phone.