Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 3.0 offers several advantages over the previous WSS Version 2.0. While WSS 3.0 is backward compatible with Windows SharePoint Services 2.0, it has an improved data model with new name spaces, a feature that is helpful for application developers on this platform. WSS 3.0 also leverages the full capability of Microsoft ASP 2.0. Other useful features include the following:
• New tools for content management- content types and site columns.
• Users have ability to edit Top Link bar and Quick launch bar.
• Navigability using bread crumbs.
• Improved backup and restore.
• SharePoint Central Administration can be used to control authentication of anonymous access.
• Item level security.
• Improved Microsoft Outlook integration.
• Ability to quickly save a site as a template.
• Better integration between Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 and SharePoint Designer 2007.