Microsoft Access has been in used for several decades. The popular database management system (DBMS) has evolved significantly since the first version was released in 1992. Although more modern alternatives have emerged, MS Access is still used by businesses of all sizes to power applications ranging from simple contact management systems to ones that use large datasets and need to support complex queries.
Although modern versions of Access have built-in methods for error handling, it is not uncommon for users to experience issues while updating their Access database. In this article, we will focus on solutions to fix the Access database updating issue.
What Are the Different Types of Errors While Updating Access Databases?
Access database users can encounter errors while updating queries, forms, tables, or records. Here are some of the errors that are frequently encountered while updating Access databases.
- “Operation must use an updateable query”
- “The recordset is not updateable”
- “Access linked table is not updating”
- “Cannot update ‘expression’; field not updatable access”
How Are Access Database Update Issues Fixed?
The is no standardized solution to resolve Access database update issues. Here are some of the most common approaches for resolving Access database issues.
- If a query is used across multiple tables that are connected using many-to-one or one-to-many relationships, users cannot update the query data directly. However, users can update the forms data or from the access page if the form’s RecordsetType property is set to Dynaset.
- Use the Domain Aggregate function in the Update To row of the update query if the error is thrown because of aggregate or totals functions.
- If the query data cannot be updated with a Union query, change the query’s Unique Values property to No.
- Ensure that the ODBC table has a unique index and has a primary key, and the database has not been moved to a read-only location.
- If ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) recordsets are used, Access forms can only edit data, if they are made with SQL Server OLEDB providers and Meditative.
- If there are linked tables, and the backed database was shifted, ensure that the new location front-end is updated using the Linked Table Manager.
- If data is not updated from one table to another, ensure that the source and destination data types are compatible.
- If Access records are not getting updated, open the Access for in the Design View, and change the Record Locks property to Edited Record on the Data tab.
Apps4Rent Can Help in Minimizing Access Issues
In addition to these issues that prevent Access databases from getting updated, corruption is a major challenge that could result in errors, which are often difficult to resolve. The .accdb or .mdb might have to be repaired, which could be challenging.
The most efficient and cost-effective solution to minimize issues with Access databases is to host them on virtual desktops. As a Microsoft Gold Partner in several competencies and a Tier 1 CSP, Apps4Rent provides fully managed Access hosting services from our top tier SSAE 16 datacenter or Azure. Call, chat, or email our Access hosting specialists, available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for assistance.