QuickBooks is one of the most frequently used accounting software over the years. Part of the reason lies in the fact that it is much more user-friendly than its competitors and provides several features that are often tailor-made for different industries. This is especially true of QuickBooks Desktop which continues to be popular among small and medium businesses despite the availability of online alternatives.
The downside of using the software is the number of arcane errors that desktop users encounter at various stages of using the software. This article explains QuickBooks error 3371 and its variations and how to resolve them.
What is QuickBooks Error 3371?
QuickBooks Error 3371 is the code assigned to a series of errors that are caused when QuickBooks is unable to load the license data. These errors are mostly caused due to installation issues on the desktop running QuickBooks. The different QuickBooks Error 3371 status codes are as follows:
- Error 3371
- Error 3371, Status Code – 111118
- Error 3371, Status Code – 1
All the errors stated above are caused when QuickBooks is not able to initialize license properties with the most plausible reason being the loss of data or corruption of files needed to access the required information.
Causes of QuickBooks Error Code 3371
While all QuickBooks errors are displayed along with a generic reason, users still have to diagnose the specific cause of failure. Below are some of the specific cases when users might encounter QuickBooks 3371 series errors.
- Certain QuickBooks files like qbregistration.dat cannot be accessed or are damaged.
- The Microsoft MSXML file is unable to execute.
- The license information cannot be retrieved or validated.
The qbregistration.dat is the file that contains information about the QuickBooks license. It is created with the license and product number submitted by the user. The file has to be executed every time QuickBooks Desktop is activated. This can be done only when Microsoft MSXML can open the file.
What Are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 3371?
All QuickBooks errors are displayed with a specific reason as to why QuickBooks could not load on a pop-up in the foreground whenever the user encounters them. Below are some of the specific symptoms’ users might observe when they encounter QuickBooks Error 3371 or one of its variants.
- The error code, with a specific status code, if any, will appear.
- As a fatal error, users will not be able to access company files and other data.
- Some users might experience a lag in inputs provided via a keyboard or mouse.
- In extreme cases, users might even experience system crashes.
When is QuickBooks Error 3371 Displayed on the Desktop?
While there are no specific circumstances in which QuickBooks Error 3371 or its variations are thrown, users are more likely to encounter it when QuickBooks Desktop is freshly activated. Below are some scenarios in which users might have encountered the error:
- Moving QuickBooks installation from one system to another.
- Misplaced or damaged license information during QuickBooks installation.
- Issues with Windows installation. Either the Operating system might not support the QuickBooks version or the MSXML component is damaged.
- Moving data between drives.
Apart from these direct causes, there might be other factors like changes to the anti-virus software configuration and network issues which might block the functioning of the QuickBooks files causing these errors.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 3371?
The steps to diagnose and fix the error primarily revolve around rectifying damaged files and recovering lost data. Follow the steps in the same order to effectively resolve QuickBooks Error 3371.
Step 1: Reinstall the Entitlement file
The entitlement file contains the information to confirm with Intuit that the QuickBooks installation on the system is valid and has been registered. Deleting the existing file and registering QuickBooks with the correct license information and the Product number is the first step for resolution:
- Search for the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file in the Entitlement Client sub-folder under the folder for Intuit in the ProgramData.
- Delete the file and re-open QuickBooks.
- Proceed with the instructions displayed on the screen to re-register QuickBooks on the system.
Re-registering QuickBooks is the simplest way to ensure that all the required files are configured as required.
If reconfiguring QuickBooks doesn’t solve the issue, chances are, the issue is with the Windows installation. Proceed with the next step if the issue persists.
Step 2: Update Windows manually
If QuickBooks was working fine on the Windows system and stopped functioning all of a sudden, your system likely hasn’t been updated with the latest Windows files.
- Search for Check for updates in the system settings.
- Ensure that you see the message “You’re up to date.”
- Perform a basic reinstall QuickBooks if required.
If this approach still doesn’t work, the last resort is to perform a clean install.
Step 3: Proceed with a clean installation
A clean install is the last resort when the issue is deep-rooted. It replaces the files on the system to reset the QuickBooks software completely.
The QuickBooks Clean Install Tool is available in the QuickBooks Tool Hub. It erases the program files that are not removed by simply uninstalling and reinstalling QuickBooks. This tool doesn’t work for QuickBooks 2020 in which the folders have to be manually renamed.
An Alternative Option to Solve QuickBooks Error 3371
QuickBooks errors are difficult to diagnose and resolve in general if the standard steps do not yield results. With installation errors like QuickBooks Error 3371, it is hard to pinpoint where the fault lies especially because there is limited QuickBooks support for issues that may be caused by Windows and other software. These problems can be avoided altogether by opting for hosted QuickBooks. As a Microsoft and Intuit authorized partner, Apps4Rent provides hosted QuickBooks services at unbeatable prices starting at just $22/month.
Our certified experts provide 24/7 technical support via phone, chat, and email. If you want to discuss any more installation errors, feel free to contact us right away!
Also see: QuickBooks Pro vs Premier vs Enterprise