QuickBooks File Manager is an independent application that works with QuickBooks Accountant and QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant for securing company files along with user credentials. It is useful when there is a need to import QuickBooks files or to upgrade QuickBooks to a different version. Even though it is a standalone application, users can access it directly from the desktop or the Accountant menu available in QuickBooks Accountant Editions. Let us explore how File Manager can be used for QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant.
How Does QuickBooks File Manager Work with QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant?
QuickBooks File Manager streamlines processes in QuickBooks Accountant and QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant by automating many organizational tasks.
- It automatically organizes folders and companies in a directory based on how users arrange them originally.
- QuickBooks files (.QBW, .QBB, .QBA, or .QBM) are grouped for each client based on their formats for simplifying access to them.
- User credentials for each file are auto populated when they are being accessed through the File Manager.
What Can Be Done with QuickBooks File Manager in QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant?
Here are some of the tasks that users can perform with QuickBooks File Manager when they are using QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant or QuickBooks Accountant.
- Users can generate a virtual view of the physical drive with a client list in which the QuickBooks files are grouped by type and their locations.
- Client credentials can be stored in the Password Vault so that company files can be opened without having to look up for them individually.
- QuickBooks files for multiple clients can be upgraded in bulk using batches with File Manager for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Groups can be created for clients based on custom definitions for simplified access.
How to Access QuickBooks File Manager?
As a standalone application that can be accessed within QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant, QuickBooks Accountant, and from the Start menu, there are three ways in which the solution can be accessed.
- If you are within the QuickBooks program interface, you can access it from the QuickBooks Accountant menu.
- If you are accessing the solution from the desktop, click on the shortcut icon for QuickBooks File Manager.
- If you cannot find the shortcut icon, search for File Manager from Programs in the Windows Start menu.
How to Work with Company Files Using File Manager?
QuickBooks company files must be first imported into QuickBooks File Manager before they can be opened or used to create backups.
Here are the steps you need to follow to import files into QuickBooks File Manager.
- Navigate to the Clients dropdown and click on the ‘Add Clients via’ option.
- On selecting the Update Client List Wizard, you will have two options.
- If the company files and folders are already arranged in the format that you need, use the option to import from client folder names. Use the option to import from QuickBooks file names if you would prefer QuickBooks File Manager to automatically scan for files on the computer and import them.
- Alternatively, you can drag and drop files from the Windows File Explorer into QuickBooks File Manager.
You can open the imported files by simply double-clicking them or by using the Open in QuickBooks option in the File menu. You can also interconvert or restore QBW and QBA files from the File menu.
How to Manage Client Data Using QuickBooks File Manager?
If you have several QuickBooks company files, you can group them and even merge/ unmerge company folders for simplifying operations. There is even a powerful search feature built into the application for searching files and folders using specific terms. Here are some of the operations you can perform on folders.
- While files are automatically grouped by year, you can add edit, or delete them from the Groups dropdown.
- Two or more client folders can be merged using the Merge option that appears on right-clicking after selecting the folders.
You can manage company files and folders using the options available in the File dropdown menu.
Apps4Rent Can Simplify File Management with Hosted QuickBooks
With powerful features such as the Password Vault, Batch Upgrade, and File Manager backup, File Manager can be used with QuickBooks Enterprise Accountants to simplify operations and protect customer data. However, it is not advisable to rely on QuickBooks File Manager alone for backup and security. As an Intuit Authorized Hosting Provider, Apps4Rent virtualizes QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant and other versions. Your data is secure in our SSAE-16 Type II certified data centers and is automatically backed up periodically for extra redundancy. Additionally, our experts provide 24/7 phone, chat, and email support for QuickBooks hosting. Contact us today for the most affordable QuickBooks hosting plans.