The COVID-19 crisis has necessitated artists and brands to communicate with their audience through videos and live streams. Today, broadcasting an event, running an online class, organizing a meeting, and hosting an employee training session all involve video recording and streaming. When it comes to the selection of the right gear for live streaming, a comparison must be drawn between tools based on software compatibility, quality of streams, and other essential features. This article intends to help you choose the right video recording and live streaming gear between FFsplit and OBS Studio.
What is OBS Studio?
Open Broadcaster Software Studio, often called OBS Studio, is open-source software widely used for screen capture and live streaming. Its capabilities include video recording, screen capture, visual mixing, editing, incorporation of overlays, and live video streaming. It offers tons of features to record videos and get them streaming on more than 30 platforms, including popular platforms such as Facebook Live, Twitch, YouTube, and YouTube Gaming. It supports all the computers running on Windows, Mac, and Linux. OBS Studio is freeware, which means you can use the software without paying for it.
Why Use OBS Studio?
OBS Studio helps you capture content from various sources such as your screen, webcam, and microphone. You can save the recorded videos to your local drive or stream them online right away. OBS gives you numerous options to process audio, video, and text elements before broadcasting to make your productions more engaging aesthetically captivating. As OBS Studio is a lightweight program, its installation and use take fewer CPU resources. Moreover, the OBS has a vast community of users that rescues you if you ever hit a snag and opens the doors for tons of free plugins, filters, effects, and transitions.
What is FFsplit?
FFsplit is a free program that allows you to capture your desktop, record videos, and live stream. It enables you to record and save videos on your computer for later use or broadcast them on supported platforms. FFsplit offers a few features similar to those offered by OBS Studio, including hotkeys, screen overlay, and webcam as a source. FFsplit supports many live streaming platforms but lacks support for certain popular streaming platforms such as Facebook Live. Currently, the software can be installed on Windows machines only.
OBS Studio vs FFsplit – The Pros and Cons
- OBS Studio is an open-source program while FFsplit is not. This means you can use OBS Studio’s code to extend its capabilities or configure it according to your needs, but there aren’t similar benefits with FFsplit.
- OBS Studio supports all Windows, Mac, and Linux systems, while FFsplit is available for Windows computers only.
- Both OBS Studio and FFsplit support multiple live streaming platforms, but FFsplit excludes highly preferred Facebook Live.
- OBS Studio is a rich and robust program to enable amateur as well as professional video creators to record and stream high-definition videos for free. FFsplit, on the other hand, can be ideal for hobbyists as it is free to use, but it comes at the cost of fewer features and a lack of stability.
- Publishers of both OBS Studio and FFsplit do not provide support services, but the OBS community fills this gap for OBS users. FFsplit users may struggle to find the right solution to their problems.
- FFsplit has an easier interface to understand and operate the software. However, with OBS Studio, you can find tons of tutorials and a vast community to help you locate the controls and run the software seamlessly.
How to Make Your Studio Available Anytime, Anywhere, on All Devices?
As we have a clear picture of the advantages and disadvantages of both OBS Studio and FFsplit now, you can easily identify which program can add more value to your video production skills. If your software application is hosted on a virtual machine offered by Apps4Rent, you can be available to your audience any time, from any location, using any available device. We make your software independent of local resources by hosting it in our top-tier data centers and Azure. We also offer cost-efficient dedicated OBS hosting plans to take your OBS Studio to its maximum potential. Contact our virtual environment experts, available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for hosting plans inquiries.