How to Clean Install QuickBooks Desktop?
QuickBooks Desktop is one of the most versatile accounting solutions that can be customized to cater to the unique needs of its users. It is not uncommon for users to encounter errors while customizing their QuickBooks Desktop installation. Many users require third-party applications to be integrated with QuickBooks Desktop. Sometimes, these applications do not function as expected and interfere with the operations of some critical QuickBooks Desktop files. When that happens, the application is likely to throw fatal errors that will not allow users to proceed with their work. While many of these issues can be diagnosed and rectified using the QuickBooks File Doctor tool, others need a different approach.
Let us understand how to clean install QuickBooks Desktop to resolve such errors.
What Is QuickBooks Desktop Clean Install?
QuickBooks Desktop clean install involves the process of uninstalling and removing all the files associated with the software and setting it up afresh on the system. When you perform a QuickBooks Desktop clean install, you are replacing the QuickBooks system files that could have been corrupted. A clean install differs from a basic reinstall in the sense that you will be using a new install file for the QuickBooks Desktop software instead of the existing one. Additionally, you might not want to perform an Express install and use the Custom and Network install depending upon your setup.
While you will not lose any accounting data in your company files when you perform a clean install, make it a point to use the QuickBooks File Doctor and perform a regular reinstall before proceeding with a clean install as a final resort. Also, ensure that you have backed-up all your data before uninstalling. Perform a QuickBooks Desktop clean install only if your issues with the company files, or problems with templates or display have not been resolved.
How to Do a QuickBooks Desktop Clean Install?
There are different methods to perform a QuickBooks Desktop clean install. Perform the steps below before proceeding with any of the methods.
- Ensure that you have a backup of all your QuickBooks data.
- Note your QuickBooks license number that you will find with your original packaging or the email you received confirming the purchase.
- Download the QuickBooks Desktop installer for the version that you are currently using before you uninstall the solution.
Using Clean Install Tool
The easiest method to perform a QuickBooks Desktop clean install is using the built-in tool. Here’s how you can take advantage of it.
- Download and launch the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- Select the Clean Install Tool from the Installation Issues tab.
- Choose the correct version of QuickBooks and the product that is installed on your system.
- Use the installer file to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
Manual QuickBooks Clean Install
The tool might not work if you are using QuickBooks Desktop 2020 or are experiencing some other issues. In that case, you will have to uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks Desktop manually.
- Select the Uninstall a Program option in the Control Panel on your Windows device.
- Select QuickBooks Desktop from the list and remove it.
- Proceed with the reinstallation.
Additional Steps for QuickBooks Desktop Clean Install
Sometimes, it helps if you manually rename the folders associated with your QuickBooks Desktop installation. Here’s what you need to do if the issue persists after reinstallation.
- Ensure that there are no hidden files or folders especially the ones that are associated with QuickBooks. These will have .qbw or .doc extensions.
- Navigate to the folder in which your QuickBooks files are saved. The folder is generally found in the C drive.
- Append ‘old’ to the existing folder to prevent QuickBooks from accessing the contents during the process of reinstallation.
- If you are unable to rename the folder, chances are that some of the files are being used. In that case, select End Process for QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, and Qbw32.exe from the Task Manager.
Apps4Rent Can Help with QuickBooks Desktop Solutions
The need to perform QuickBooks Clean install can be avoided in the first place if the errors are minimized. Many of these errors are caused due to hardware and network problems. As an Intuit Authorized Standard Host and QuickBooks Solution Provider (QSP), Apps4Rent provides sets up QuickBooks Desktop and hosts your preferred version on our SSAE Certified datacenters. Contact our QuickBooks hosting consultants available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for promotional prices and hosting assistance.