Open Broadcaster Software Studio, or OBS Studio, is an open-source software program designed for screen capture, gameplay recording, and live video broadcasting. It is available on the internet for free to download on 32-bit as well as 64-bit computers. The software competes with premium video recording and live streaming applications such as Wirecast and XSplit. While OBS Studio tops the list of favorite tools of many video creators, its setup decides its performance and ease of use. Before we discuss the prerequisites for OBS Studio, let’s see what makes it the favorite of video creators and broadcasters.
Why Use OBS Studio?
- Free to download and use
- Functionalities include screen capture, video recording, and live streaming
- Wide range of features for individual video creators and video professionals alike
- Compatible with all major live streaming platforms like YouTube, Twitch, and Facebook Live
- Gameplay recording for keen gamers
- Live webcam and picture-in-picture support
- Convenient settings and options for customization
- Open-source program to allow you to integrate other powerful applications, extensions, and plugins for performance enhancement
- Vast OBS community that works as a free user guide
- Tons of community-created plugins, filters, effects, and transitions
- Compatibility with all major operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and Mac OS
System Requirements for OBS Studio
Just like any other software, OBS Studio requires your system to be equipped with some specific software and hardware components. A system that fails to meet these requirements may generate errors and prevent installation.
To run the software on Windows Machines, OBS Studio needs your system to have Windows 8 or a newer version installed. Your system must also have a graphics card with support for DirectX 10.1, as required to carry out multimedia activities. Depending on your machine, you can choose either of the 32-bit or 64-bit versions.
On Mac computers, the live streaming application requires macOS 10.13 or later versions. Besides, your system must be powered by an Intel processor. The developers suggest OBS Studio is not designed for Mac machines running on PowerPC processors. For multimedia handling, you will require OpenGL 3.3 compatible GPU.
To run OBS Studio on Linux systems, a graphics card compatible with OpenGL 3.3 is necessary. The Linux version of OBS Studio is available for Ubuntu 18.04 or newer. Your Linux system should necessarily have FFmpeg to move ahead with the installation.
- 4 GB or more RAM is recommended for the seamless installation of OBS Studio.
- When it comes to the processor, both Intel and AMD FX series processors support OBS Studio. However, dual-core or 4-core processors are preferable.
Points to Consider When Using OBS Studio for Professional Video Making
OBS Studio is a robust software for video recording and live streaming. It captures videos in HD quality and allows you to decide the length of your videos. The resultant files will therefore require a significant amount of free space on your local disk. You will have to look for a reliable storage option before your disc runs out of space. Also, as we have discussed, it is an open-source program. This means you can extend its capabilities with additional software plugins and scripts. However, every step you take to enhance the performance and functionality of OBS Studio will result in the need for scaling up the resources.
How to Keep Your OBS Studio in Line with the Constantly Changing System Requirements?
While locally installed OBS Studio can be used on the same machine only, hosted OBS Studio can be used on any device like a smartphone, tablet, and even an average PC that doesn’t meet the GPU requirements. Hosting OBS Studio in the cloud can relieve you from all the worries regarding local infrastructure management. Apps4Rent offers dedicated OBS hosting plans for enhanced flexibility, scalability, and availability of your software. We use NVIDIA based GPU on our servers to deliver a lag-free multimedia experience. Contact our hosting experts available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for inquiry and assistance.