While QuickBooks Desktop is one of the most reliable accounting software available in the market, many users face issues soon after installing the software on their system. A majority of these errors are related to QuickBooks data file or network setup particularly when the application is used in the multi-user mode. One such commonly faced issue is QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 that users observe while opening a company file mostly in the multi-user mode soon after updating to versions of QuickBooks. The issue is often also observed right after a backup. We will explore QuickBooks Error 6123,0 in detail along with the causes and solutions for the issue.
What Are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6123, 0?
QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 is generally a file related error seen usually in the multi-user mode. Below are some of the symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6123, 0
- Inability to connect with the server hosting the QuickBooks company file.
- Inability to open the QuickBooks company files.
- The computer becomes slow and unresponsive while you try to perform any other action.
If the issue is observed while an antivirus software like McAfee is running its scans, you might notice that the same QuickBooks files are being scanned and rescanned repeatedly.
What Causes QuickBooks Error 6123, 0?
There are several reasons why users might not be able to access the QuickBooks company file. Not being able to access the file does not necessarily mean that that the file is damaged, and the information is lost. Below are some reasons why users might not be able to access the file.
- Non-compatibility of the company file name with the naming conventions.
- Interference of third-party software like anti-virus application with the operation of QuickBooks.
- Network issues resulting in connection problems between the server and the client.
- Corruption while opening, restoring, upgrading or attempting to move company file to a different location.
- Lack of user access permissions while opening the file.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0?
The most likely cause of QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0 is incompatibility issues in versioning of various components. Ensure that both QuickBooks and Windows are on the latest versions before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps.
Step 1: Ensure that the company file is as per naming conventions
QuickBooks company file names should not exceed 30 characters. They should also not include special characters such as – ?,!, @ etc.
Trying to open the file in the accounting software can result in QuickBooks error 6123, 0.
- Right-click the company file and rename it as per the specifications.
- Rename the.ND and .TLG files by appending .old at the end of these files.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop again and check if the issue persists.
Ensure that the folder settings have been configured with the requisite permissions.
Step 2: Move the company file to a different location
This method is primarily applicable when users see QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 while accessing backups.
- Move the original file to a different location to confirm that the error is not because of the file path. Ideally, the default path should not result in the error.
- If the company file is being restored from a backup file (.qbb) file, ensure that it is on the hard drive and not an online folder or removable device.
- Restore the original company file after you create a portable copy (.qbm) rather than the backup file (.qbb) if the latter doesn’t work.
Step 3: Launch QuickFix my Program
If the issue with the files cannot be resolved by renaming it or moving it to another location, the problem could be with the contents of the file or network issues. Use the provisions in the QuickBooks Tools Hub to resolve the error message. The QuickFix my Program is used for resolving issues with the application.
- Choose Program Problems in the QuickBooks Tools Hub followed by QuickFix my Program.
- Re-open QuickBooks Desktop when the progress bar finishes.
Step 4: Launch File Doctor
If you want to repair the file in the existing version rather than restore the backup, the File Doctor might be able to automatically resolve the issue.
- Click on Company File Issues and start QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Choose the company file which throws the error while opening and click on Check your file before hitting Continue.
- Enter your admin password for QuickBooks and hit Continue.
Step 5: Resolve antivirus software and firewall issues
Antivirus software scan all files including the ones used by QuickBooks Desktop. QuickBooks unsigned .DLLs could be caught by the scanners of the anti-virus software. Perform the following steps to resolve the issue.
- Update the anti-virus software to the latest version.
- Add an exception to the files if your anti-virus software permits.
- Try rebooting your computer after making the changes either QuickBooks or the anti-virus software.
Additionally, some ports used by QuickBooks Desktop especially in the multi-user mode might be blocked by the firewall. Running the QuickBooks Database Server Manager will open the ports.
What to Do If QuickBooks Error 6123 0 Is Not Resolved?
If you are unable to fix QuickBooks Error 6123 0, you can contact QuickBooks support or data service team. While they will be able to you with QuickBooks related issues, the data service team, in particular, provides email assistance by default and has limited support hours. The alternative is to opt for QuickBooks hosting where QuickBooks Desktop is installed on the host’s server. This is a much more flexible and reliable method.
Not only can QuickBooks Desktop be accessed from any device but also the chances of such errors hampering operations are lower. As an Intuit authorized QuickBooks hosting service provider, Apps4Rent is one of the most trusted vendors. Our experts provide 24/7 assistance via phone, chat, and email. Contact us to know more.