QuickBooks Desktop is a widely installed application on Windows Operating systems used by accountants, entrepreneurs, and SMEs. The application simplifies accounting processes to a large extent and is well known for its simplicity and practicality especially for people without technical knowledge. However, it is when people see the errors that QuickBooks Desktop throws that baffles many such users. One such issue is Error 1328. It is an error that users might observe when they install, update, or repair QuickBooks software. We will explore in detail the causes and symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1328 along with the solutions to resolve the error.
Why is QuickBooks Error 1328 Shown?
QuickBooks Error 1328 occurs when there is some mismatch during the configuration process. Typically, it is an update error caused by the .tmp files in the config.msi folder. Here are some plausible explanations for the error.
- Download issue with QuickBooks.
- Damaged or corrupted program files.
- Network connectivity issues.
- Issues with the computer.
- Improper installation files.
- Invalid entries in Windows.
- Computer affected by a malicious attack.
- System shut down issues.
- Incompatible license with the version of QuickBooks installation.
What Are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1328?
QuickBooks Error is accompanied by an error message in a pop-up that could read something like ‘Error updating file C;\Config.Msi\PTXXXX.tmp. Below are some of the symptoms that might be observed with the error code.
- Inability to repair, update or uninstall QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks application might hang and not open.
- The Operating System slows down and becomes unresponsive.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1328?
The solution to resolving QuickBooks Error 1328 might either lie in repairing Windows files or QuickBooks files. It would be ideal to check the Windows files first as they are likely to have implications beyond QuickBooks.
Step 1: Check for Windows Updates
Like all other applications, the updates for QuickBooks Desktop work optimally when Windows components like MSXML, Microsoft .Net Framework, and C++ function as designed.
- Press the start button on the keyboard and enter the “windows update” in the search box.
- Hit the “Windows Update” icon on the search results.
- Click on “Check for Updates”.
- Restart the PC if there are any updates and check if the error is still visible.
Step 2: Rename Hidden Files and Folders
Files in the config.msi hidden folder have often been found to cause QuickBooks Error 1328. Simply changing the name might resolve the issue.
- Navigate to C: Drive and click on Tools.
- Open the Folder Options and uncheck the option ‘Hide Protected Operating System Files’ in the View section.
- Append .old to the existing items, i.e Config.msi.old.
- Hide the folders and restart the system.
- Try launching QuickBooks Desktop to see if the error persists.
Step 3: Run an SFC Tool
Sometimes, certain Windows files might get corrupted due to issues like improper shutdown procedures or malware. Running the System File Checker utility might restore these corrupted Operating System files.
- Run a scan with the anti-virus system.
- Use a registry repair tool to ensure that Windows registry entries are not damages.
- Remove unnecessary files and drivers.
- Try reopening the QuickBooks application.
- Try Windows Restore to roll back recent changes if you continue to see the error.
You can almost rule out issues with Windows if the error persists. Look for issues with QuickBooks.
Step 4: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
The QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool automatically detects issues that might have developed during the installation process and repairs them. Running the tool is the easiest way of fixing installation errors.
- Download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Run the application and click Installation Issues.
- Click on QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and run a scan.
- Ensure that the latest Windows updates are available on the system.
- Restart the computer and relaunch the QuickBooks application.
Step 5: Repairing QuickBooks
QuickBooks update error 1328 might be fixed by repairing the Windows Installation Process.
- Navigate to Programs and Features on the Windows Control Panel and search for QuickBooks in the list.
- Use the uninstall/ change option and select Repair.
- Apply the changes and restart QuickBooks.
If the repair is not successful, you need to reinstall QuickBooks.
Step 6: Performing QuickBooks Clean Installation
Unlike a regular uninstall and reinstall in which certain files will be stored in the system for later use, a QuickBooks clean install involves deleting all the files and installing the software again. Perform this only when the update of feature and error fixing doesn’t work after regular reinstall.
- Try uninstalling QuickBooks.
- Click on Installation Issues on the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- Choose Clean Install Tool and add the QuickBooks version and product version details.
- Check if the installation persists.
What if QuickBooks Error 1328 Persists?
If none of the above steps fix QuickBooks Error 1328, the problem might be much more deeply rooted. It might even require programming knowledge to resolve the issue and the assistance of IT professionals don’t come cheap. The alternative is to opt for hosted QuickBooks in which QuickBooks Desktop is installed on servers of hosting service providers.
Apps4Rent is one of the few Intuit authorized QuickBooks Hosting Service Providers offering 24/7 technical support via phone, chat, and email. If you have any QuickBooks installation error, feel free to talk to our experts right away. We’ll be glad to assist you.