Azure Functions is an event-driven serverless compute platform that simplifies application development. It is used by developers to execute small pieces of codes without having to worry about the underlying infrastructure needed to run them. Users do not have to provision the server or containers that are required for running applications and can simply use a programming language of their choice on a friendly user interface to build applications. Azure Functions is an ideal cloud solution for developing modern web applications that need to run at scale. In this article, we will do a deep dive into the features and the uses of Azure Functions.
What Are the Features of Azure Functions?
As a function as a service solution, Azure Functions combines the benefits of both infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and platform as a service (PaaS) solutions. Here are some of the most important features of Azure Functions.
- It can be used to develop serverless applications using an intuitive, browser-based interface.
- It supports several programming languages such as C#, Java, Python, and PowerShell for writing functions.
- You can access third-party services and libraries to bring your own dependencies.
- It is easy to integrate with other Azure services as well as other software as a service (SaaS) solutions.
- The pay-per-use model is ideal for compute-on-demand requirements for modern applications that have to be deployed and scaled quickly.
- It supports various development tools such as GitHub, and Azure DevOps Services, that make it an ideal solution for continuous integration (CI) and continuous deployment (CD).
- It is an open-source solution and the runtime is available on GitHub.
- As a part of its integrated security features, HTTP-triggered functions can be protected by various OAuth providers including Facebook, Google, and Twitter apart from Microsoft.
What Can Be Done with Azure Functions?
Azure Functions simplifies application development. It is an ideal solution for processing large volumes of data, integrating systems, operating with the internet-of-things (IoT), and developing simple APIs and micro-services. Here are some of the other uses of Azure Functions.
- Minimize the time to market by reducing integration time with external APIs.
- Trigger codes by user actions, messages from other programs, and events.
- Enable stateful functions to shorten the processing time for files and real-time data.
- Eliminate the need to change application codes, spin virtual machines, or add databases for scaling operations.
- Optimize machine learning workflows with a serverless architecture.
- Automate workflows and tasks that follow common patterns such as responding to events, triggering scheduled tasks, and processing alerts.
Apps4Rent Can Help You with Azure Functions
The uses of Azure Functions are virtually endless. From handling unpredictable loads, scaling operations to meet surging demands, and using events to extend system architecture, Azure Functions can play an instrumental role in solving business-critical problems. As a Tier 1 Microsoft CSP, Apps4Rent can help you navigate through the confusion, complication, and complexity of using the Microsoft Azure platform. Our Azure experts available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email would be happy to provide Azure services to help you run your applications on the cloud.