Most QuickBooks Desktop users configure the application on a single system. Such users typically do not intend to use the multi-user mode available with QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Enterprise. This means that they can use the application only on the system on which it is installed. The compulsion to work on QuickBooks files on a single system can become restrictive for modern businesses. There are a few methods that could help work on QuickBooks Desktop remotely. Let us explore if you should remote sharing with QuickBooks Desktop and some of the other alternatives.
What Are the Advantages of Remote Sharing with QuickBooks Desktop?
Using remote sharing for QuickBooks Desktop is one of the most widely used methods for various reasons.
- It is the easiest method available to set up and use.
- It is inexpensive, and in many cases, available free of cost depending on the software you plan to use.
- The QuickBooks data remains on the machine on which the software is installed.
- You may be able to access QuickBooks installed on your Windows machine from other platforms.
These advantages make remote sharing the most widely used solution for accessing QuickBooks Desktop from another platform.
What Are the Disadvantages of Using Remote Sharing with QuickBooks Desktop?
While remote sharing with QuickBooks Desktop can be used in times of exigencies for accessing data, it is not a long-term solution. Here are some of the disadvantages of the approach.
- A person has to be present on-site to turn on the system with QuickBooks Desktop installed on it to allow remote sharing.
- Some of these applications might not be compatible with QuickBooks Desktop or the operating system running on the platform.
- There could be intermittent connection issues that could result in the compromise of user experience.
- Neither Intuit nor the software developer would be able to troubleshoot issues that may occur while remote sharing.
- Multiple users cannot use the solution for remotely accessing company files using this method.
- Privacy could be compromised as other users will be able to see operations on the screen on the other side.
These limitations can be overcome using some of the other methods available to access QuickBooks Desktop files remotely.
What Are the Alternatives for Accessing QuickBooks Desktop Files Remotely?
There are a couple of other methods available within QuickBooks Desktop to help users work on their company files from a different system.
Use QuickBooks Desktop Accountant’s Copy
QuickBooks Desktop includes an Accountant’s Copy file transfer feature that can be used to save files on Intuit’s servers. You can access your financial data in your company files using an Accountants Copy.
The major disadvantage of this method is that you will require QuickBooks Desktop (same version, or a gap of 1 year) installed on the system you are on. Additionally, you will not be able to make changes to certain records or perform some tasks that normally can with your company file.
Setup Multi-User Access for QuickBooks Desktop
The other alternative is to install QuickBooks Database Manager on the computer hosting QuickBooks Desktop company files and turning-on the multi-user mode for it. Once you enable network discovery, you will be able to access the data from a remote workstation.
While this method allows full-access to data, the one-time setup itself could be complicated and error-prone.
Hosting QuickBooks Desktop for Remote Access
The last option to access QuickBooks Desktop company files remotely is by hosting the application on the cloud. This is by far, the best option for various reasons. To begin with, hosted QuickBooks Desktop is a fully managed solution in which the service provider will set up QuickBooks on their infrastructure or on the public cloud. QuickBooks Desktop users can start working on their company files on any device with an internet connection. Also, most service providers offer flexible payment plans, backups, and value-added services that makes this option the most attractive for many users.
Apps4Rent Can Host QuickBooks Desktop for Remote Access
While remote sharing QuickBooks Desktop is inexpensive, it is insecure and not user friendly. Using an Accountant’s copy is not a long-term solution either. While you can set up a secure network to self-host QuickBooks Desktop and access it from different workstations, the technicalities can become overwhelming. As an Intuit Authorized Hosting Provider, Apps4Rent can help you securely access QuickBooks hosted on our cloud servers. Contacts our hosting experts available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for queries.