Step by step instruction on how to backup and restore Microsoft SharePoint sites using MS SharePoint Designer.
For the free download of Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007, please visit the following link:
For the free download of Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 (32 bit), please visit the following link:
For more info on Apps4Rent’s hosted email plans:
• Hosted Microsoft SharePoint – Plans starting at $8.95 per month. See plans.
• Hosted Exchange 2010 – Plans starting at $6.95 per month. See plans.
• Mobile SyncMail – Plans starting at $1.95 per month. See plans.
1. In Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer, on the File menu, click Open Site.
2. In the Open Site dialog box, browse to and click the Web site that you want to back up, and then click Open.
3. On the Site menu, point to Administration, and then click Backup Web Site.
4. In the Backup Web Site dialog box, to include all subsites of the current Web site in the backup, select the Include subsites in archive check box.
5. If the current Web site is low on available storage space, click Advanced, specify a new location, and then click OK.
Backing up a web site requires a location to store temporary backup files. By default, Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007 uses the current website. You can use another site on the same server or a location on another server on the same network — for example, \\Server name\Share name.
6. In the Backup Web Site dialog box, click OK.
7. In the File Save dialog box, choose a location to store the .cmp file.
8. In the File name box, type the name for the file, and then click Save.
If the site that you are backing up or restoring is large, the process can take a long time.
Restore a site by using Microsoft SharePoint Designer.
1. Create a new, empty Web site as a destination site.
2. In Office SharePoint Designer 2007, on the File menu, click New.
3. In the New dialog box, on the Web Site tab, click General, and then click Empty Web Site.
4. In the Specify the location of the new Web site box, type or browse to the location to which you want to restore the backup site.
You can restore the site to a different server and you can restore it as either a new top-level site or a sub-site under an existing top-level site.
5. Click OK.
Restore the MS SharePoint backup file to the destination site using Microsoft SharePoint designer.
1. With the destination site open, on the Site menu, point to Administration, and then click Restore Web Site.
2. In the File Open dialog box, browse to and click the .cmp file that you want to restore, and then click Open.
3. In the Restore Web Site dialog box, click OK to confirm that you want to restore the .cmp file to the current empty Web site.
If your Microsoft SharePoint website is above 24 MB and you are having problem then follow these steps
With the best hosted SharePoint price plans in the industry, Apps4Rent provides businesses the power to integrate the virtual collaboration technology into their business model and streamline communications in the process. Hosted Microsoft SharePoint plans starting at $8.95 per month.
Depend on Apps4Rent for all your business hosting needs.
• Industry leading value based pricing.
• Serving over 10,000 business in 50+ countries.
• One-stop shop for the full range of hosted Microsoft software.
• 24/7 support via chat, email and phone.