Application hosting allows you to be productive
from anywhere, with any device.
SharePoint Portal Software
Microsoft SharePoint, a best-in-class web portal platform, includes tools and features that enable online presentation of information from diverse sources in a unified way. All while maintaining a consistent look and feel. MS SharePoint web portal software hosting products such as Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS 2007), Windows SharePoint Services (WSS), SharePoint Foundation 2010 and SharePoint Server 2010 include features such as digital dashboard, search, e-mail notification, news, announcements, calendars, wikis, blogs, RSS feeds, and mobile access.
SharePoint customer portal technologies are useful for building intranets, extranets, or internet portals. See SharePoint plans below and feature comparison of SharePoint Server 2010 and Foundation.
SharePoint portals can be either vertical- focusing on a particular application, such as human resources, accounting, or sales, or horizontal- offering access to almost all the information an individual within the enterprise needs to carry out his or her function. Authentication and access may be based upon the role or roles the individual plays in the organization, thereby allowing some personalization features. A simple approach would put everything an employee needs on the SharePoint portal (Human Resources documents, contact information, certifications, documents, benefits, project management information), thereby giving everyone a reason to visit and enhance the portal.
SharePoint portal software combines several Microsoft products into one. Because of this, SharePoint portal hosting includes enhanced tools for content management, integration, personalization, and security as described below:
- Dedicated SharePoint Server 2010 and MOSS 2007 facilitate single sign-on capabilities between users and other systems.
Portal site templates:
- SharePoint portal software includes preconfigured templates that help in streamlining, creating, customization, and deployment of divisional portals, organization-wide intranet portal sites, and corporate Web sites.
Integration with Microsoft Office:
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 easily integrates with smart client tools through a set of Web services and documented application interfaces. Users can readily adopt these new tools because of their similarity to other familiar environments, such as the Microsoft Office system. For example, users of 2007 Microsoft Office system programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, InfoPath, Project, and OneNote can directly interact with information stored in SharePoint sites without having to manually download the content. Users can create workspaces, post and edit documents, and assign tasks, all while working on documents stored in SharePoint sites.
- Users can customize the look and feel of their environment. Customers can edit and design their own web sites which are full of their own personality and own style; they can also choose the specific content and services they prefer. Also refers to the ability to prioritize most appropriate content based on attributes of the user and metadata of the available content. Portal software template providing a site directory, social networking, privacy control and more.
- Personalization is more about matching content with the user. Based on a user profile, personalization uses rules to match the “services”, or content, to the specific user. To some degree, you can think of the two like this: customization is in hands of the end user, personalization is not. Of course actual personalization is often based on your role or job function within the portal context.
- The ability for portal software to limit specific types of content and services users have access to. For example, a company’s proprietary information can be entitled for only company employee access. This access rights may be provided by a portal administrator or by a provisioning process. Access control lists manage the mapping between portal content and services over the portal user base. Security, storage, site models and multiple workspaces
- Search enterprise content using enterprise search. Rich search functionality, including contextual relevance as well as business and people data search is available in the portal software. In other words, it doesn’t matter what type of file format or where the information is located. With SharePoint portal hosting, you only have to use one search engine to find your important documentation. As well, the search capabilities are feature rich, enabling you to search by document author, date, category, site and/or key word.
- Collaboration functionality with e-mail and Outlook integration, calendars, blogs, project management, documents and more is available in the SharePoint portal software.
- Solutions using data visualization, KPIs, dashboards, server-based Excel spreadsheets and the Report Center, among others are available in the SharePoint portal software.